Friday, March 02, 2012

Media-Whore D'Oeuvres


"A hallmark of U.S. President Barack Obama's approach to Israel has been to confront Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu publicly about areas of disagreement almost every time they meet. The headlines are always about settlements, occupied territory in Jerusalem, restraining Bibi on Iran, and pushing Israel on borders. Obama's theory seems to be that you have to show daylight with Israel to get progress on peace and win friends in the Muslim world. But what if the president tried the opposite approach? He could begin by using his speech at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference this coming Sunday, March 4, to build trust and win the confidence of the Israeli government as a foundation for future diplomatic cooperation. What could Obama do to set a new tone? Here are four ideas." (ForeignPolicy)


"The streets of Manhattan were cleared yesterday for President Barack Obama’s fundraising swing–his 100th on the re-election cycle– that netted his re-election campaign a reported $5 million.
But Mr. Obama’s visit wasn’t entirely without turbulence.At a fundraiser at ABC Carpet and Home heavy with younger, hipper donors than most big ticket campaign events –it was co-hosted by former Congressional candidate Reshma Sauani, author Deepak Chopra and rap impressario Russell Simmons–the president bragged about the United States being a 'pacific power,' and was shortly thereafter called out by an audience member. 'Use your leadership,' a woman yelled.  'No war with Iran.' The president stopped his remarks to rebuke the heckler. 'Nobody has announced a war, young lady,' Mr. Obama responded, then told her that she was, 'Jumping the gun a little bit.' The woman was soon drowned out by cheers." (Observer)


"Sunday night at the Oscars ended for a lot of the stars and the winners at the Sunset Tower Hotel in West Hollywood where Graydon and Anna Carter were hosting their Annual Vanity Fair Oscar Party. It was a big night for everybody including the fashion designers." (NySocialDiary)

Jessica Rayne

"GSTAAD—It’s early in the silvery morning light as I look out my window up here in the heights. A batallion of wispy white clouds hides behind the surrounding mountains—a reminder that a perfect dawn makes for a perfect day’s skiing ... As I sat down to write this, I read about Dmitri Nabokov’s passing. The son of the great Vladimir, he was as good-looking a man as a Don Juan deserves to be. He was also a writer, a racing driver, an opera singer who made his debut in La Boheme alongside Luciano Pavarotti, and a translator of his father’s Russian books. A Greek friend of mine who was having wife trouble once rang me from Athens and asked if I could arrange a Gstaad dinner which would amuse his wife, who was getting bored in Greece. I asked Pat Buckley if she would put them up in Le château de Rougemont, where the Buckleys wintered back then. Pat placed Dmitri next to the bored Greek wife, who almost swooned upon meeting him. He was very tall and very masculine, and he came up the stairs singing an operatic aria. After dinner my friend came up to me and asked me if I’d had a leave of my senses. He didn’t speak to me for the next ten years.I had discussed his father’s The Enchantress with Dmitri. I now apply the book’s title to Jessica Raine, AKA Nurse Jenny of Call the Midwife. I feel the ache of longing for someone who is just out of reach. I also know that desiring is often better than getting. (I really don’t mean that in Jessica’s case, in case she’s reading.) All last week the King of Greece made fun of my Jessica obsession. “While your majesty laughs, I suffer,” was all I said to him. Then I produced a couple of pictures of her cut out from the Daily Telegraph and left them in front of his dinner plate. (I have about ten of them, all the same—Jenny riding on her bicycle.) Alas, my yearning for an unreachable woman continues."  (Taki)

No comments: