Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Robin Quivers: The Artie Lang Incident Was No Publicity Stunt



(image via nytix)

Robin Quivers of The Howard Stern Show was on Good Day New york today discussing the Artie Lang bustup. As Mike Walker has argued, convincingly, The Stern Show is the proto-reality show, using the formula of the daily kvetchings of wacky people to drive the dynamic of filling up to five hours a day of live radio. A transcript from Fox:

"FOX 5’s Reid Lamberty: You’re on vacation this week, but last week … you really left viewers with a cliffhanger because there was a big fight between Artie and his assistant. It almost got physical and then Artie tendered his resignation…what’s the deal?

"Robin: What’s most amazing to me is that we haven’t had this kind of buzz since we left terrestrial radio, so we must have gotten our head above the water line because everywhere I go, everybody’s asking me, 'What’s going on,' 'What’s going to happen?' And all I can say is 'Tune in next Monday.'

"Reid: Clearly, some people were saying this a publicity stunt.

"Robin: I only wish it was because then we’d be having a good time with it but is was a very real experience.

"Reid: Was that a bit unusual even for your show?

"Robin: It was the first time I was really glad I was in a glass booth because it was all happening outside in the larger studio. And I knew nothing could happen to me…things were flying…bottles were hitting the glass where I sit."

No comments: