Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Media-Whore's D'Oevres



(image via realone)

"Rest in peace, Merv Griffin, quartre-sexual." (Observer)

"The Los Angeles Times points out that the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock is a potential treasure trove of dirt on Hillary -- it contains an estimated two million pages documents related to her time as First Lady. But the Library's 11 archivists are so backlogged they don't expect to release anything until long after the election." (Ben Smith on Politico)

"Let me give you some particularly traumatic examples from the dark recesses of my past. First off, I was chosen to be in the video for CYNDI LAUPER's 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun.' Unfortunately, it wasn't the original classic clip that helped define MTV—it was the '90s reggae-remix with an all-drag-queen cast! ... I showed up on the set in my idea of humorous drag, which involved a housedress, Payless pumps, drop earrings, and a ratty wig. Jerry apparently thought I looked like DORIS ROBERTS meets BRIAN DENNEHY, but that's exactly what I was going for! (The choreographer) had me change into a spangly blue minidress, with cream-colored nylons to cover my hairy knees. Much worse, Jerry didn't care for my dancing. But I never said I was a dancer. I never even said I was a writer! He had us doing vigorous calisthenic-type stuff around the old World's Fair grounds in Queens, and from the beginning, my moves were scaring the pigeons away. As Jerry kept sending me to the back of the line, I felt like the Rosa Parks of reggae-remix drag videos." (Musto)

"Coming off a victory Saturday in the Iowa straw poll, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) picked up the endorsement of Rep. Vernon Ehlers (R-Mich.) Tuesday and increased his slim lead in congressional support among Republican White House hopefuls. Romney is edging away from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who now trails Romney 29-27, according to The Hill’s lawmaker endorsements list." (TheHill)

No comments: