Monday, August 09, 2004

LaToya Jackson Undergoes Name Surgery

MSNBC reports that LaToya Jackson has changed her name to "Toy":

"This week, the buoyant 'Just Wanna Dance' (JaTail Records) by Toy climbs two notches on the chart to No. 14.

�'It feels good to be back,' Toy Jackson told Billboard. 'With this single, I wanted people to judge the song on its own merit.'

"Jackson fully understands that her name comes with much baggage, good and bad. 'People weren�t giving me the chance to do my thing, which is to sing,' she said. 'So, I altered my name for this single to see what would happen.'�

But on the horizon of contemporary music there have been hints, as in her "hit" "Sex Box (the orignial mix, silly, without full force rap), she croons, rather humidly, "Last night laying in the bed/Thinking and dreaming of you/Real tight, holding on my hand,Thinking of what I had to do/Here I am, like a toy/Now your gonna play with me/Hey you! Come boy, Give me what you think I need"

Which, of course, begs the question, is Toy her name ... or her function? (The Corsair wags his eyebrows like Groucho Marx)

No comments: